Saturday, June 28, 2014

June 2014 Update

My internship at the Leibniz Institute of Production and Machine Tooling is nearly half over, so I thought now would be a good time to share an update of what I've been able to work on so far. The bulk of my responsibilities requires that we turn samples then conduct measurements on the specimens.  The specimens have been cut using various size cutters, different speed and feed rates, and in some cases different materials. Below are some photos of the measurement setup and what the results look like.



Other than just the personal work that I completed, I have been able to witness the execution of some pretty amazing tests that other PhD students have been working on.  One of the crown jewels of this institute is their work with 5-axis milling optimization.  A lot of effort goes into the creation of irregularly shaped objects such as false teeth, or the bust of Sir Wilhelm Leibniz.



Finally, here is what the facility looks like from above, I was really impressed with how clean it is.







No comments:

Post a Comment